Being a crystal owner, how to cleanse crystals on your own could be a great question in your mind. Owning a crystal and keeping it maintained are two different things.
Crystals are a popular type of gemstone that has been used for healing, religious rituals, and decorative purposes since ancient times. They are a great way to bring balance into your life, but they can be expensive and hard to cleanse.
Have you ever been curious about how to cleanse crystals?
Don’t worry; we will go through the process of how to cleanse crystals in-depth, the significance of cleansing them, and other FAQs about your crystal inquiry throughout this article.
Learn More: How to Charge Crystals?
What is the purpose of cleansing crystals?
Cleansing crystals is a crucial step in any crystalline practice or ritual. Ensuring that you are working with a clean slate that is receptive to your intentions and energy is necessary for healing and manifestation.
Cleansing crystals unlocks their full potency and potential, enabling you to reap the results of your efforts.
Therefore, you should cleanse your crystals before every use, especially if you are using them for healing or manifesting. It is required to cleanse your crystals regularly, so they stay in their best condition and keep working well for you.
Now, let’s look at the various cleaning techniques for crystals.
What are the different ways to cleanse crystals?
There are many ways to cleanse crystals. A common popular technique is to bury them for 24 hours in organic soil. Crystals can be cleansed with sea salt or washing them with clean running water, but it is best not to use soap or any other chemical unless mentioned.
However, the approach to crystal cleansing may vary depending on the type of crystals.
You should always consider that it is never advised to use chemicals when cleansing crystals as this may cause the crystal to react differently than desired.
Following are several ways for removing impurities from gems that are frequently utilized to keep them cleansed and charged.
- Water: Cleanse crystals, keeping them on clean water or running water.
- Salt: Crystals can be cleansed by simply keeping them on salt, especially sea salt and saltwater.
- Sunlight: Keeping crystals in direct sunlight helps them charged and cleansed.
- Full Moon: Full moon nights are known for their purifying power. Keeping crystals in moonlight during the full moon helps them charged and cleansed.
- Smoke: A few crystals like Carnelian and Smokey Quartz can be cleansed by keeping them in smoke or burning incense near them.
- Incense: Some crystals like Selenite, Smokey Quartz, and Petrified Wood can be cleaned by keeping them in incense.
- Sage: Sage is another prevalent cleansing tool, but it is advised not to cleanse crystals with sage smoke directly.
- Soil: Bury your crystals in organic soil for 24 hours to cleanse them.
- Selenite: You can cleanse your crystal using Selenite crystal itself.
- Crystals: Some crystals like Selenite, Smokey Quartz, and Petrified Wood can be cleaned by keeping them in crystals.
- Sound: Place your crystals near a source of the sound, which is another way to cleanse them.
- Rice: Fill your container with rice and place your crystals on top of it to charge and clean them.
- Breath: Taking deep breaths while focusing on your small crystals can make them charged.
- Visualization: Close your eyes and visualize white light entering your crystals, filling them with positive energy.
Here we have outlined several cleaning strategies for crystals. Let’s learn more about each method one by one.
How to cleanse crystals?
To cleanse the crystals, it is essential first to identify what type of crystal you have. After that, you should determine what kind of cleansing the crystal needs.
If the crystals are being used for the healing process, they must be cleaned often not to accumulate negative energy. Crystals should be washed with salt water and dried before they are used again.
Similarly, If the crystals are decorative pieces, they can be simply wiped down with a cloth or alcohol swab.
So, here we will elaborate on how to cleanse the crystals using various methods as we have mentioned above. We will also discuss the type of crystals to be treated in a particular way.
1. How to cleanse crystals in running water?
The most popular and simplest technique to keep crystals charged and cleansed is to clean them in running water.
Steps involved in cleansing crystals in running water:
- Place the crystal on the running water surface. You can also use a container of water. Just make sure they touch the surface of the container and fill it up, and then place them in running water.
- Keep the crystal there for 5 minutes.
- Dry the crystals thoroughly after the timed cleansing period is over. If you want to speed up the drying process, you can use a clean and soft towel to pat down as much excess liquid as possible.
- Now your crystal is cleansed and charged, and ready for use.
What type of stones can be used for running water cleansing?
Cleansing Crystals with running water is usually an effective method for any crystals, except for fragile or porous stones.
Citrine, Amethyst, and other Quartz-family crystals can be cleaned with running water.
Not all crystals can be cleansed using running water. There are some types of stones ending with ‘ite’ that you should avoid placing under running water. They are too fragile or porous to absorb the energy of the water. Here is the list of crystals that should not be cleansed in running water:
2. How to cleanse crystals with salt?
Cleansing crystals using salt is a prevalent method to recharge them.
Salt has the power to absorb unwanted energy, and it is considered to be one of the most effective methods to cleanse crystals.
Steps to cleanse crystals with salt:
- Get some pure table salt in a bowl or container and a crystal to cleanse. Besides pure salt, sea salt is also great for crystal cleansing.
- Now, take the crystal and gently run it through the salt in the bowl at least four or five times.
- Shake off any excess salt from your hands and onto the ground.
- Similarly, salt water cleanses the crystals too, submerges the crystal in water with salt, and leaves it there half and out to one hour.
- Then rinse it with warm water and dry it after cleansing with dry salt or saltwater.
What type of stones can be used for salt cleansing?
Salt cleansing is effective in crystals that protect you from negative energy. Use cleansing hard crystals like Quartz and Amethyst with saltwater. Salt cleansing is best for crystals like Black Tourmaline and Obsidian.
Avoid soft crystals to cleanse on saltwater. Crystals like Citrine are not safe on saltwater. Therefore, they should be cleaned only on dry salt but not for an extended period.
3. How to cleanse crystals in direct sunlight?
Cleansing a crystal in sunlight is more effective during a specific time on the solar or lunar cycle. But you can simply set your crystals for a couple of hours in sunlight to cleanse.
Using sunlight is one of the simplest and most effective methods.
Steps to cleanse crystals in direct sunlight:
- First, place the crystal on a sturdy surface.
- Bring your crystals outside on a sunny day and place them face up, with their faces pointing towards the sun where it can absorb radiant light.
- Leave your crystals in this position for at least 12 hours, making sure they remain perfectly still and do not move around.
- Your crystals will be fully charged, cleansed, and ready to use.
What type of stones can be used for sunlight cleansing?
Sunlight is an excellent method for cleansing all stones, but prolonged exposure may fade them. Some of those crystals are Citrine and Agate.
4. How to cleanse crystals on a full moon night?
Many crystal healing enthusiasts prefer to cleanse their crystals on a full moon night because it is the optimal time for charging crystals.
Charging your crystals on full moon night will help remove any negative energy that your crystals might have absorbed. The process also helps them stay vibrant and shiny throughout the dark days ahead.
However, if you cannot set up your cleansing ceremony at the right time, you can always perform it on another day.
Steps to cleanse crystals on a full moon night:
- Take a small bowl of water.
- Place the crystal steadily facing towards the moonlight on the bowl with water. If the crystal is too small or has a sharp edge, you can place it in something that will keep it from tipping over.
- Leave your crystals out overnight and bring them inside before sunrise. Preferably, complete the cleansing process on a full moon night.
- The next day, cleanse your crystals again with water and dry them thoroughly.
What type of stones can be used for full moon cleansing?
Moonlight crystal cleansing is effective on crystals like:
- Rose Quartz
- Lapis Lazuli
However, this cleansing method is not recommended for crystals like Sodalite and Turquoise that weaken in the moonlight.
5. How to cleanse crystals with smoke?
Cleansing crystals with smoke is a great way to cleanse and purify your crystals from any negative energy they may be holding.
Similarly, it also helps with grounding and centering yourself on focusing on what matters most in life.
The cleansing process involves cleansing the crystal in smoke, usually from incense or herbs.
Steps on cleansing crystals with smoke:
- Use a smudge stick if you prefer cleansing with herb because it emits cleansing smoke.
- Light the tip of the herb and let it burn for about ten seconds to ensure that it is burning correctly.
- Bring the fire of the herb over your cleansing crystal to remove any negative energy that might be attached to it.
- Once you have finished cleansing your crystals, blow out the herb to smother the fire.
- After cleansing your crystals, make sure they are in a location where they will not be disturbed.
- Wipe them with your hands to ensure that they are clean.
What type of stones can be used for smoke cleansing?
Cleansing Crystals with smoke is most effective on:
- Smoky Quartz
- Smokey Amethyst
Similarly, cleansing crystals with smoke is not recommended for crystals that are sensitive to heat, fire, or smoke. Some of them are:
- Black Tourmaline
- Moonstone Antique Jewelry University. “A brief history of Citrine, https://www.langantiques.com/university/citrine-2/”
6. How to cleanse crystals with incense?
Cleansing Crystals with incense is one of the types of cleansing it with smoke.
Steps on cleansing crystals with incense:
- You can burn incense sticks
- Place the crystals on a sturdy surface.
- Complete the process by bringing the smoke over your crystal to purify it.
The most common incense used to cleanse crystals are:
- Palo Santo
7. How to cleanse crystals with sage?
Sage is a cleansing herb that can be used in various cleansing rituals. Cleansing Crystals with sage makes them more receptive to cleansing and healing energy and vibrations.
It is said that cleansing crystals with sage will make the crystal more “energized,” which makes it able to better absorb energy.
Similarly, the process of cleansing crystals with sage is a type of cleansing a crystal with smoke.
Steps on cleansing crystals with sage:
- Burn the sage and keep it on a holding stand. White sage is a popular cleansing herb that is typically used during cleansing rituals.
- Place your crystal on s sturdy surface.
- Bring sage near to your cleansing stones to cleanse any prior negative energy.
8. How to cleanse crystals with soil?
Cleaning crystals with soil is an easy and natural way to remove negative energies that your crystals might have absorbed.
It also cleanses them from any bad memories they may have picked up during cleansing or healing sessions.
The cleansing process involves burying the crystal in the soil overnight. Bella Luna, “How to cleanse your crystals, https://bella-luna.org/how-to-cleanse-your-crystals/”
Steps to cleanse crystals with soil:
- Find a clean and moist soil area to bury your crystal.
- Bury the crystal the soil just a few inches deep.
- Leave your crystal buried overnight or a few days for best results. The longer it remains on the soil or nature, the more effective the cleaning process will be.
- After cleansing your crystals with soil, make sure you wash them with clean water and dry it before using.
What type of stones can be used for cleansing with soil?
Cleansing crystals with soil is most effective on cleansing crystals like:
- Rose Quartz
- Lapis Lazuli
Cleansing crystals with soil is not recommended for crystals like Sodalite or Turquoise.
9. How to cleanse crystals with selenite?
The selenite cleansing method is also known as direct cleansing because of the selenite’s self-cleaning property.
Selenite improves and cleanses the properties of other stones.
Sometimes it is advised to cleanse your crystals with selenite before cleansing them with any other cleansing stones such as sage, incense, or any other cleansing crystals.
Cleansing Crystals with selenite is a cleansing method that involves cleansing your cleansing stones using the cleansing crystals themselves.
There is a specific process for cleansing stones with selenite.
Steps to cleanse crystals with selenite:
- Place cleansing crystals on a clean and dry surface.
- Bring Selenite close to cleansing stones you want to purify or place them on a selenite bowl or plate.
- Keep your cleansing crystals in contact with selenite for at least 24 hours.
- After that, the crystal’s energy will be restored.
What type of stones can be used for cleansing with selenite?
Crystals that can be cleaned most effectively using the selenite cleansing method or direct cleansing are:
- Selenite itself
Some cleansing stones cannot be cleansed with the selenite cleansing method. These stones are:
10. How to cleanse crystals with other crystals?
Cleansing crystals with other cleansing stones is also an easy and effective method used on cleansing stones like Quartz clusters, Selenite, Amethyst geodes, Clear Quartz, Hematite, Carnelian.
You must place the crystal you wish to restore on top of cleansing crystals.
Steps to cleanse crystals using other crystals:
- Place the crystals you wish to purify on top of clean crystals.
- Leave your cleansing stones in contact with other crystals for at least 24 hours.
- After that, the crystals you purify will be recharged and ready to utilize.
What type of stones can be used for cleansing with other crystals?
This is a basic cleansing process among all. You can cleanse any crystal with this cleansing method.
However, there are pairs of stones that should not be kept together to get the most out of them. They are:
- Carnelian and Amethyst
- Blue Lace Agate and Red Jasper
- Clear Quartz and Green Aventurine
- Sunstones and Saturn and Venus Stones
- Gomed and Cat’s eye
11. How to cleanse crystals with sound?
A simple way to revitalize your crystals is with sound. By singing or chanting a prayer or mantra over them, you are sending out new vibrations which will replace any old ones within the crystal.
You can also use other instruments like tuning forks and bells as well as music from chimes and tingshas (bamboo bowls).
Most people find that using their voice works best because it has more personal meaning than instruments created by others.
It is crucial not only to set an intention before cleansing your crystals but also to visualize while doing so actively.
Steps to cleanse crystals with the sound:
- Place the crystals on a clean and dry surface.
- Gently chant or sing your intention to purify the crystals.
- Keep your crystal in contact with the vibration of the sound for a few minutes to cleanse it thoroughly.
- After that, your crystals will be recharged and ready to use or place in a particular place.
What type of stones can be used to cleanse with sound?
To eliminate the bad energy, you can purify any crystals with sound.
12. How to cleanse crystals with brown rice?
Cleansing crystals with brown rice is an easy yet popular method.
Brown rice has some positive properties that make it advantageous for soft and passive crystals. For instance, brown rice is naturally grounding.
Brown rice contains nutrients that help neutralize the negative energy on the crystals like Selenite or Hematite.
Brown rice can also remove any unwanted energies from crystals like Amethyst Geodes or Clear Quartz.
Steps to cleanse crystals with brown rice
- Place your cleansing stones on a clean and dry surface.
- Fill a bowl with refined brown rice and bury your crystals on it.
- Leave your crystals in contact with brown rice for at least 24 hours.
- After that, the energy of your crystals is restored.
- You may also want to throw away the rice on completion of the process.
What type of stones can be cleansed with brown rice?
It is no chemical involved cleansing process; therefore, you can cleanse all types of crystal through this process.
13. How to cleanse crystals with breath?
You can cleanse crystals with breath by just taking a deep breath and charging the crystal with your energy.
The technique is quick and efficient to cleanse small crystals.
Steps involved in cleaning crystals with breath:
- Carry the crystal in one hand. Raise your other hand so that it is level with your heart chakra, palm facing up.
- Take a breath and relax. Consider all bad energy that is flowing out of your body and being filtered through your raised hand as you exhale.
- After that, place your crystals on a clean and dry surface.
- Now the crystal is charged and ready to use.
What type of stones should be cleansed with breath?
You can use any small-sized crystal that could fit on your palm easily.
14. How to cleanse crystals with visualization?
Cleansing crystals with visualization is important because it helps you set your intention.
Simply holding the crystal and looking into its center will suffice.
Steps to cleanse crystals with visualization:
- Carry your cleansing stone in your hand or place it on a steady surface.
- Gently close your eyes and focus on the stone at the center of your palm.
- Imagine any negativity or unwanted energy being released from the crystal.
- Direct this energy to flow out from your palm and down the ground. As you do this, imagine a positive, energetic flow from your palms back into the stone. You can also imagine this energy flowing back into your body and filling you with healing and positive vibes.
- Cleanse daily for seven days before using the stone in your energetic work.
What type of stone to cleanse through visualization?
You can follow this cleansing method with other cleansing processes to the stone of your choice.
FAQs about cleansing crystals
How to quick cleanse crystals?
You can use the breath cleansing mechanism to cleanse stones immediately. It is the shortest cleansing method among all, which could take you less than a minute.
How long will it take to cleanse a crystal?
The cleansing process may vary from one minute to several hours, depending on the type of cleansing method you are following. Cleansing time ranges from 30 seconds to several days.
What kind of tools do I need to cleanse crystals?
You do not need special tools to cleanse and recharge your crystals. You will only need a calm place, some time, and the cleansing stone unless you want to follow the specific process mentioned in this article.
What is the process of cleansing crystals?
You can cleanse your stones using water, salt, or direct sunlight. You can also choose to use visualization to set your intention. Using sage and incense is also an equally popular method for crystal cleansing.
How to choose your crystals?
You must choose your crystals according to the ability they possess. Go with your intuition and choose the stone you feel best matches your present situation. You should also be able to identify the feasibility of its cleansing process to keep it maintained.
What is the most effective technique to cleanse crystals??
Chant, bath, visualize, or place the stones under sunlight are some of the best techniques to follow when you want to cleanse your crystals. If you are going to use a more extended method burying on soil and placing on moonlight are the most effective ways to cleanse crystals.
How often should you cleanse your crystals?
Cleanse your crystals once a day if you have time, or else once a week is enough. Regularly cleansing crystals will conduct peace of mind and keeps you away from negative energy.
When should you cleanse your crystals?
You may cleanse your crystals in the morning and before you go to bed. But, there is no specific time if you wish to follow simple ways like cleansing it with water or setting intentions.
What are the different ways to use your crystals?
You can use your crystals for meditation, your healing practice, or just keep them as a part of the decor. Typically, crystals are used due to the belief of eliminating negativity from your life. Some people keep it for good health and prosperity as well.
Where should I put crystals in my house?
You can place your crystals in the center of your living room, bedroom, kitchen, or just anywhere you would like to. Putting it on the spot where you spend most of your time inside the house is recommended for maximum effectiveness.
How to charge your crystals?
There are several cleaning techniques available if you want to charge your crystals. You can place them under direct sunlight for a few minutes. It is also best to chant or meditate and put them on a smooth and clean surface.
Are crystals used to remove negative energy?
Yes, crystals can be used to repel negative energies and thus protect you from any harm. Keeping well-maintained crystals helps you to stay calm and protect yourself from unwanted energy.
What types of crystals are healing crystals?
Some crystals provide specific healing properties. Some include Amethyst, Selenite, Clear Quartz, Herkimer Diamond, Lapis Lazuli, Rose Quartz.
What are the benefits of crystals?
Crystals are used for meditation, healing, and other forms of worship. They are also usually adorned as pieces of jewelry or decorations. People typically keep it to repel unwanted energy in their lives. Crystals are also kept for good health and prosperity in life.
Should I cleanse my new crystals?
Yes, new crystals should be cleansed before you can use them. Follow simple steps like putting it under running water, keeping it with other crystals, and keeping it with Selenite.
How to cleanse new crystals?
Crystals that come from the ground should be washed with water, and those crystals made artificially should be cleansed by direct sunlight. Running water cleansing, selenite cleansing, and other crystals are practical and easy cleansing methods for new crystals.
Which crystals cannot be washed in clean water?
Some crystals cannot withstand water, so it is best to avoid them by washing them. These include Opal, Turquoise, and Amber. Pours and soft crystals cannot be cleansed with clean water.
Which crystals cannot be cleansed in saltwater?
Avoid the crystals that dissolve in saltwater. Soft crystals like Citrine cannot be cleansed in saltwater.
Which crystals cannot be cleansed in the sage stick?
Crystals sensitive to heat and smoke like Sodalite, Turquoise, Aquamarine, Black Tourmaline, Fluorite, Agate, and Moonstone cannot be cleansed in the sage stick.
Which crystals cannot be cleansed in the moonlight?
Sodalite and Turquoise are the crystals supposed to weaken in the moonlight night sky. But overall, many crystals have powerful recharge on moonlight.
Which crystals cannot be cleansed on sunlight?
Sun’s rays affect the crystals like Citrine and Agate. They tend to fade due to prolonged exposure. Usually, do not expose any crystals for an extended period.
Can you cleanse crystals with incense?
Yes, you can cleanse crystals with incense through the smoke crystal cleansing technique. However, crystals sensitive to heat and smoke should be avoided.
Does Selenite cleanse other crystals?
Yes, Selenite itself is a crystal with self-cleaning ability. It is a popular first-time cleansing method for most crystals. Keeping impure crystals in touch with Selenite for at least 24 hours will assist them in absorbing unwanted energy.
What are the cleansing methods for clear quartz?
You can choose to cleanse your Clear Quartz in salt or water. You may also cleanse it with direct sunlight for a few hours.
How to cleanse amethyst crystals?
You can cleanse amethyst crystals by placing them under the moonlight for several hours. For the best result, you can wash it with water or put it under direct sunlight.
How to cleanse black tourmaline crystals?
Among a few different ways, salt cleansing will be most effective for Black Tourmaline crystals. You can charge them with either dry salt or saltwater.
How to cleanse selenite crystals?
You can choose to cleanse Selenite by placing it under the moonlight for several hours. You can also cleanse it by placing it with other crystals directly. Because of self-cleansing property, Selenite may cleanse on its own as well.
How to cleanse citrine crystals?
Citrine crystals can be cleaned with running water or through smoke cleansing. Even though those techniques are most effective, you can always cleanse them with visualization, breathe, selenite, and other crystals.
What to say when cleansing crystals?
You may say mantras while cleaning your crystals. Some examples of the mantra are: The cleansing light flowing through me now, May all that is old let go and be replaced by what is new, I am open to the light of abundance, love & joy.
How do you use a manifestation crystal?
You can use a manifestation crystal by programming it with your intention. You can also cleanse and dedicate it to the universe so that all things you wish to manifest will be delivered.
Why is cleansing crystals important?
Cleansing your crystals will remove all the unwanted energy that they have absorbed. After the cleansing process, your crystals will be recharged and ready to receive more positive energy from the universe.
Crystal cleansing vs charging?
Charging crystals means programming by placing them or keeping them in your energy field, and they will keep emitting positive energy.
Cleansing means “cleaning.” The crystal cleansing process removes any negativity that has been absorbed or programmed into a crystal. Most crystals need to be cleaned occasionally.
Which crystals do not need cleansing?
Certain crystals that do not need cleansing are crystals that contain self-cleansing energy. These crystals usually come from the ground, and they already have their natural power. Selenite is a famous self-cleansing crystal.
Which crystals should not get wet?
Delicate crystals and porous crystals should not get wet. They might dissolve and lose their energy. Some of them are Hematite, Azurite, Selenite, Fluorite, Calcite, Malachite, Celestite, Angelite, Lepidolite, and Labradorite.
Hard stones vs soft stones cleaning methods?
Hard stones can be easily cleaned with water, while soft rocks need to be cleansed in sage smoke. Due to their loose structure, soft stones are porous and tend to dissolve in water.
Final thoughts about cleansing crystals
Crystals are used to bring clarity, balance, and healing. To keep them cleansed, they need regular cleansing methods, as we discussed throughout the article. Whether you are looking for a quick cleanse or something more thorough, these techniques will help you get your crystals back into prime condition!
Among the variety of methods to cleanse stones, the most effective crystal cleansers for removing impurities are water, salt, sunlight, and moonlight. The full moon has a purifying power that can be used to help crystals charge. One of the common ways is also to bury them in organic soil for 24 hours.
Crystals are also beautiful and can be used for decorative purposes at home.
Therefore, we recommend exploring these different methods of cleansing your stones with care and paying attention to what might be most beneficial for you or your crystal’s unique needs.
If you feel this information is valuable to others, please do not forget to share it.
- Facebook Messenger
About the author
DbdPost Staff is a team of writers and editors working hard to ensure that all information on our site is as accurate, comprehensive, and trustworthy as possible. Our goal is always to create the most comprehensive resource directly from experts for our readers on any topic.
|↑1||Antique Jewelry University. “A brief history of Citrine, https://www.langantiques.com/university/citrine-2/”|
|↑2||Bella Luna, “How to cleanse your crystals, https://bella-luna.org/how-to-cleanse-your-crystals/”|