Many women opt for breast reduction surgery to remove excess breast tissue and achieve a more comfortable breast size. However, the breast reduction surgery cost can vary depending on several factors, including the surgeon’s experience, location, and the complexity of the procedure.
Breast reduction surgery has many benefits, such as getting rid of heavy breasts and other cosmetic reasons. The average cost of breast reduction surgery ranges from $5,500 to $6,000.
In this guide, you can learn about breast reduction surgery, how much it typically costs, and what factors can affect the cost and additional expenses.
You can also discover financing options and tips for saving money on the surgery, including when it’s medically necessary.
Average breast reduction surgery cost
Breast reduction surgery is a medical procedure that varies in cost depending on different factors worldwide.
The cost varies depending on the surgeon’s experience, the location, and how complex the procedure is.
On average, breast reduction surgery costs around $5,500 to $6,000 in the United States. American Society of Plastic Surgeons, “Breast reduction, … Continue reading
In Europe, the cost ranges from €3,000 to €8,000, while in Asia, it ranges from $1,500 to $6,000. NHS, “Breast reduction, … Continue reading
However, it is important to note that the cost of breast reduction surgery in Asia is generally less expensive than in other regions.
It is always best to consult with a doctor to determine the exact cost of breast reduction surgery based on individual factors.
Factors that affect breast reduction surgery cost
Breast reduction surgery can be a life-changing procedure for individuals with large breasts.
But the cost can vary based on several factors discussed below.
- Surgeon’s experience: The more experienced and skilled the plastic surgeon, the higher the Surgery fees are likely. This is because experienced surgeons are in higher demand and can charge more for their surgeries.
- Geographic Location: The cost of breast reduction surgery varies depending on the location. For example, the cost of breast lift surgery or implants is typically higher in urban areas than in rural areas.
- Facility fees: The cost estimate of using the treatments can also impact the overall cost of breast reduction surgery. Some facilities charge higher fees than others, and this can affect the overall cost of the first reduction procedure. American Society of Plastic Surgeons, “Breast reduction, … Continue reading
- Anesthesia fees: The cost of anesthesia can also be a significant factor in the patient and overall mammaplasty cost. The quality of anesthesia used, as well as the duration of the surgery, can impact the final price.
- Post-operative care: The cost of post-operative care, such as consulting fees, follow-up appointments, treatment, and medications, can also contribute to the total cost of breast reduction surgery. The length of recovery and the number of follow-up visits required can also impact the overall cost of plastic surgery.
Insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery
Breast reduction surgery is often covered by insurance under certain circumstances.
Insurance companies may cover the cost of the surgery if the patient has medical issues that are causing them physical discomfort or pain.
Speaking with your insurance provider before breast reduction surgery is essential to avoid unexpected expenses.
Specific requirements or limitations may exist even if the surgery is covered under your policy. For example, your insurer may require a specific amount of breast tissue to be removed or pre-authorization from your doctor.
If you don’t meet the insurance requirements, you may need to pay some or all of the costs associated with the surgery.
Financing options for breast reduction surgery
For some, the cost of a breast reduction surgery may be a hindrance; that’s why looking into financing options is crucial.
Many plastic surgeons offer monthly payment plans that allow patients to pay for the surgery over time. These payment plans may include interest or fees, so review the terms carefully before agreeing to a payment plan is essential. American society of plastic surgeons, “Breast reduction, … Continue reading
Medical credit cards
Many credit card companies offer medical credit cards specifically for medical procedures. These cards often offer promotional financing options, such as interest-free periods, to help patients pay for the surgery over time.
Personal loans may also be an option for financing breast reduction surgery. Patients can apply for a personal loan from a bank or online lender and use the funds to pay for the surgery. However, interest rates and fees may be higher than other financing options. Lendedu, “Personal loan, … Continue reading
- Find out everything about hair transplant cost with our guide.
- Check our guide to find out everything about how much do mole removal costs.
- If you want to know how much does it cost to fix a chipped tooth, check our guide – here.
- Find out everything about Gum graft cost with our guide.
- Tired of wearing glasses? Check our guide to find out everything about Lasik eye surgery cost.
Does insurance cover breast reduction surgery?
Yes, breast reduction surgery is covered by health insurance companies if it is done for medical reasons. However, coverage varies depending on the insurance company, provider and the specific policy.
Are there financing options available for breast reduction surgery?
Yes, there are financing options available for breast reduction costs. Payment plans, medical credit cards, and other financing options are available.
How long does it take to recover from breast reduction surgery?
Recovery time from breast surgery can vary based on the individual and the extent of the surgery. Generally, patients can return to work within 2-3 weeks, and many patients resume normal activities within 2-6 weeks. NHS, “Breast reduction, https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cosmetic-procedures/cosmetic-surgery/breast-reduction-female/#:~:text=It%20can%20take,childcare%20and%20shopping.”
Can breast reduction be done without surgery?
Non-surgical options for breast reduction, such as weight loss and physical activity, may help reduce body weight and breast size to some extent.
However, for significant breast reduction procedures done, surgery is typically required. BAAPS, “Breast reduction, … Continue reading
What are the risks associated with breast reduction surgery?
There are certain risks associated with breast reduction surgery. It involves risks like bleeding, infection chronic pain, and scarring. It can also cause pain and changes how your nipples feel.
Ultimately, the cost of breast reduction surgery should not stand in the way of achieving physical and emotional comfort.
Patients can take an important step towards reducing breast reduction surgery cost by considering financing options.
About the author
Dr. Adam Glover
Dr. Adam Glover is a General Medicine Specialist with over ten years of experience in the medical field. His health and wellness articles have educated thousands of readers on various topics such as nutrition, fitness, disease prevention, mental health, and more. He is passionate about good health practices and uses his medical knowledge to help people lead healthier lives.